logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Performance

From Richard Fairhurst richard at systemeD.net on Sat Jun 27 12:21:13 BST 2009

Hi all,

I've not used mkgmap for a good while and am really impressed with
all the features that've been added in recent months.

I'm currently trying to create a map from a GB planet extract, and
performance seems much slower than I remember. I've split the extract
into six parts with splitter.jar (I'm using some big route relations
so can't split it any further). The first .osm (36Mb) has been
chuntering away for an hour and a half and the .img hasn't been
produced yet - is this normal?

The command line I'm using is:

java -Xmx1000m -jar mkgmap-r1067/mkgmap.jar --style-file=/path/to/
cyclemap/ --route --net --no-sort-roads -c template.args

The style file is reasonably complex and contains numerous 'set'
instructions, plus a handful of relation 'apply's. My system is an
Intel Mac mini, OS X 10.5, 1Gb.

cheers
Richard