logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Overview map: tiny patch/review series

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Wed Jun 17 00:02:55 BST 2009

Please try to compile the attached "empty" map image as overview map
with mkgmap. maptk compiles it nicely, cgpsmapper too, mkgmap produces
crap only (and actually needs to split it before it can process it).
Currently I therefore use maptk for overview map compiling, and gmaptool
to create the overview map. I must say I only use empty overview maps,
is there actually any speed advantage of a distinct real overview map,
compared to putting in a level 14 consisting only of points of country
capitals, or maybe country boundaries?
If there is maybe it would make sense to only render 18-20-22-24 levels
in default mkgmap style, and create a nice overview image for layer 16
and below.

So I think there is definitely somethings where mkgmap still fails. Or
is this only because mkgmap cannot correctly compile overview map images
from mp sources?

The overview image is from:
http://familiehuzzel.spacequadrat.de/GPS/Typefiles/index.html
Dunno if for something this simple any copyrights may apply, so I add
the source.