logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Overview map: tiny patch/review series

From Thilo Hannemann thannema at gmx.de on Tue Jun 16 07:55:26 BST 2009

Hi Mark,

Am 16.06.2009 um 08:33 schrieb Mark Burton:

> Recently, Coord.distance() was replaced with a much speedier
> implementation because a lot of cpu cycles were being wasted there.
> The newer function appears to be accurate enough for our purposes.

The DP code contains another distance calculation. What you must
calculate there is the distance of one point to a line. The
Coord.distance() is used in that formula, but I do not understand the
formula itself. Maybe it's some genius trick to simplify the
calculation, but I do not get it. The only thing I see is that when I
reduce the error distance the simplified ways look "nicer". But the
preset error distance of one half of the resolution should be small
enough already. So my assumption is that the actual error distance is
much larger than expected, which may be due to a bug in the code.

Regards
Thilo