logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Routing tests without Garmin device? Garmin emulator for PC?

From Steve Hosgood steve at tallyho.bc.nu on Fri Jun 5 11:20:50 BST 2009

gypakk at gmx.eu wrote:
> Thank you and thanks to Mark!
>
> I must admit, I did not know that Mapsource supports routing... :-)
>
> Just managed to display a small gmapsupp.img in Mapsource. Now I can start extended tests of Mark's cycle patch.
>
> Markus

I didn't know Mapsource did all this either.

That's interesting - and maybe for a different reason than originally
stated.

Consider:
1) Mapsource can do simulated routing.
2) In order to do (1) above, Mapsource decrypts Garmin's .img files.
3) As a consequence of (2), the algorithm and keys to decrypting
Garmin's .img files are in Mapsource.
4) Mapsource runs on a PC.
5) PC software can be spied on whilst running, and portions can be
deciphered  (remember the deCSS business 10 years ago?).
6) As a consequence of (4) and (5), Mapsource could be
reverse-engineered (or some portions could anyway).
7) Reverse engineering software is legal (in Europe) for purposes of
creating "compatable" systems.
8) Mkgmap tries to makes a map that is "compatable" with Garmin GPS
navigators.

Anyone see where the logic of this is going? :-)
We've been complaining that we can't explore Garmin's file format
properly because we can't decrypt their files... are we missing a trick
here?

Do any of our Norwegian members have contact with the shadowy "M.O.R.E"
(Masters of Reverse Engineering)? :-)

Steve