logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] max-speed and arbitrary values

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Wed Jun 3 18:48:39 BST 2009

I tested a lot with maps today. Setting maximum of *speed_class=2* works
quite nice. However Routing over longer distances gets broken, not too
bad but significantly. The lower you set the speeds, the straigther the
route. Lowering speed_class thereby achieves similar routing like you
can achieve by using shorter distance on a map that you build using all
speed classes.

I currently think that a good compromise would be going up to 3 or 4.
Even when going for speed=2 as maximum, car/motorcycle produces slightly
better results. Bicycle may be useful however to go a bit shorter
distance (i.e. going down on a bike set GPS to bicycle, going up to
motorcycle/car). Results are pretty similar however then to motorcar and
shorter distance.

Optimally we would need at least one more key like avoid toll however,
which would be great for further refining your maps. Cgpsmapper now
supports setting unpaved roads and carppol lanes - if we could set them
too it would be great.

On cyclemaps this would enable you to route all over Germany, if you
avoid all non bicycle routes by enabling that key (as long as the route
is not broken, sadly many are missing pieces in their relation). I did
some tests and was able to route the Donauradwanderweg through it's
complete Austrian territory by adding to all non route=bicycle the toll
key. That would be nice, so if you simply wan't your GPS to follow the
cycleroute, you enable the key and don't have to worry about the GPS
deciding on other ways.

As for* road_class*... I don't actually know wheter how 3 and 2 work
differently. 0,1, and 4 have significant impact.

Oh and not to forget. If someone could figure out how to set the
*extended types* (also wrongly called 3byte tpyes), it would be great.
Lines can currently be used up to 0x3f, 0x40 will show in Mapsource as
0x00, I think some GPS can differentiate upto 0x8f however. Extended
types are NOT related to NT map format. There are many non NT maps with
extended types. I'm now running out of all points, polygons and lines
(many points are not usable, i.e. all marine points don't show up on my
Vista HCx, others are not really stylable via typfile.