logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1054: When subdivision fails to reduce number of nodes, report bbox and croak.

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Wed Jun 3 15:16:42 BST 2009

Hi Clinton,

> You know, I'm not too crazy about the "croak" part.
>
> For example, yesterday I attempted to compile a map of a large portion
> of Europe from Geofabrik.de, which provides daily extracts. The entire
> procedure took many hours (osmosis -> split -> mkgmap) on my
> antiquated (2 years old) hardware. Sometime in the middle of the
> night, I ended up with the "croak" and a polite apology that the map
> could not be compiled due to an invalid bbox somewhere.
>
> Now to correct this, I would have to figure out where the invalid data
> came from, try to correct it, upload it, and wait another day until
> the Geofabrik extract is available, and then start again.
>
> This may be a considerable incentive to correct the bad data ;-), but
> it is inconvenient, to say the least, when attempting to compile large
> areas. :-(
>
> Er... would it be possible to warn and continue with the compilation,
> knowing that parts of the map would be corrupt? (a "--force" option,
> or something?)

It's a tricky situation because by the time the problem is detected
lots of half built data structures are around some of which will refer
to the nodes/ways that are going to have to be thrown away to be able
to carry on without croaking.

I will have a go a trying to find a means of continuing in this
situation but it's likely that the resulting map will be broken as far
as routing is concerned. Let's see what can be done.

Cheers,

Mark