logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1050: Improve performance of distance calculations.

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Sat May 30 17:48:14 BST 2009

Hi Johann,

> May I propose to rename the function slowDistance() to exactDistance()?
> I think the main reason for this function is not to be slow, but to be
> the exact calculation.

It doesn't want to be slow but it just is because acos() is a complete
dog.

But how do you know it's exact anyway? Have you tested it in any
way?

Also, while you are at it, why not propose that quickDistance() is
renamed
notQuiteSoExactDistanceButProbablyGoodEnoughThatNoOneWillNotice()?

And anyway, even if quickDistance() does not produce as accurate a
result as slowDistance(), as long as the result is good enough for the
calculation being performed we're better off with the speed increase.

I am happy with the names as they are.

Cheers,

Mark