logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Either mkgmap error or splitter error

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed May 27 21:41:27 BST 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 09:33:59AM +0200, Lambertus wrote:
> I wasn't clear about that but you are right: The planet was splitted
> once with max-nodes=1200000 and then made manual changes to the
> areas.list.

If you are editing areas.list by hand, could you please consider making
the tile borders follow natural or political borders more closely, like
I requested some time ago on this list?  If the tile borders at
http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php are accurate, you have split
Finland into 8+ tiles, some of which share large areas with Sweden,
Estonia, Latvia, Norway and Russia.  To me, a natural tile border would
be the Baltic sea in the SW of Finland.  It's not very useful to have
Estonia and Finland on the same tile; there's 80 km of water in between.
Same for Southern Finland and Sweden.  Russia and Finland are connected
by a small number of border crossings, and they should use different code
pages (cp1251 for Cyrillic, cp1252 for Latin).

Your current "east border" of Finland looks reasonable.  It is also OK to
have the sparsely populated north Norway/Sweden/Finland in a single map tile
(routable/13-05-2009/63240168.img).  If anything, I'd split that tile near
the Russian border and extend it a bit south, to include the northern coast
of the Baltic sea.

For what it is worth, I have an areas.list for a 3-tile Finland at
http://www.polkupyoraily.net/osm/.  The tile borders might not be
directly applicable, since it is based on finland.osm.bz2 instead of
the whole planet.

Another simple suggestion: Please consider making a single tile of
Iceland and Faroe Islands.  Currently, they are combined with parts
of UK and Norway.

Best regards,

	Marko