logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] generating custom maps (stylesheet or typ files)

From Clinton Gladstone clinton.gladstone at googlemail.com on Tue May 26 17:18:21 BST 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi> wrote:

> If you find a good tutorial into TYP files and a nice set of tools, I'm
> interested.  I use Debian GNU/Linux, and I am distributing a map of Finland
> that I would like to be more useful for cycling (but still useable for
> pedestrians and motor vehicles).

The following is a web-based TYP file editor, which has worked well for me:

http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi

Since it is web-based, you should be able to use it on a Debian system
(I have always used Firefox as the browser).

The cGPSmapper manual contains some more information about TYP files,
and the following "Kochbuch" is also useful, if you can read German:

http://maptk.dnsalias.com/Docs/Kochbuch.pdf

You may find it easiest to start with one of the existing OSM TYP
files, and to adapt your own from this.

One thing that I have done, in order to make my maps more useful both
for cycling and automobiles, is to add a definition for cycleways as
Garmin 0x0f in both the lines style file and the TYP file: this
appears to work correctly for routing, and differentiates better from
the 0x16 code used for footways, etc. Some more work in this direction
could be possible when creating routable hiking/cycling maps with a
larger number of specialized ways defined.

I hope this is of some help to you. Cheers.