logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] generating custom maps (stylesheet or typ files)

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue May 26 08:14:44 BST 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:33:01AM +0800, maning sambale wrote:
> I want to create additional custom maps aside from the regular
> standard map from the default stylesheets.  What I want are maps for
> cycling/mtb.
> But I am a bit confused with two options,
> 1.  creating custom styles by editing the default stylesheet, or
> 2. creating typ files.
>
> Can somebody explain the difference of the two options?

With 1, you probably mean the mkgmap translation rules.  They specify
how OpenStreetMap node and way attributes are translated into Garmin point
and line types and attributes in the *.img file.

The TYP files are useful if you want to define custom map symbols and the
like.  If you think of the Garmin map data as a HTML document, the TYP file
would customize the presentation, like CSS and graphical images do for HTML.

If you find a good tutorial into TYP files and a nice set of tools, I'm
interested.  I use Debian GNU/Linux, and I am distributing a map of Finland
that I would like to be more useful for cycling (but still useable for
pedestrians and motor vehicles).

	Marko