logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] (almost) duplicated node issue

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Mon May 25 21:12:07 BST 2009

Hi Marco,

> I want to say: duplicated nodes and almost duplicated nodes are map errors (expecially if they describe an highway). We do not know wich was the right intention of the mapper (make routing possible/impossible).
>
> I think that the best we can do when mkgmap finds 2 nodes that encode in the same IMG point (so in both cases: duplicated nodes or almost-duplicated nodes) is to collapse the 2 nodes in one node exacly as JOSM validator would do if they were duplicated.
>
> Does it sound good?
>
> Just my proposal...

I should think that it would be reasonably easy to merge close nodes
using a first pass before any ways are processed.

However, tricky issues remain. Like, how do you cope with the situation
of a node being generated by the clipping process and that node is
within the critical distance of an existing node on the same way?

Cheers,

Mark