logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] (almost) duplicated node issue

From Marco Certelli marco_certelli at yahoo.it on Mon May 25 20:41:37 BST 2009

Well, when a node is duplicated (I think, latitudes and longitudes matches up to the last digit), JOSM validator detects it as a map error and offers the possibility to automatically correct the issue.

I think there are two cases:

(1) the 2 duplicated nodes are not connected by any arc. Well, if JOSM collapses the two nodes in one, it connects each other arcs that weren't connected before.

(2) the 2 duplicated nodes are connected by an arc (a zero length arc). Well, if JOSM collapses the two nodes in one, I guess it just deletes the zero length arc. But if the deleted arc was one way, the deletion makes possible routes that weren't possible before

I want to say: duplicated nodes and almost duplicated nodes are map errors (expecially if they describe an highway). We do not know wich was the right intention of the mapper (make routing possible/impossible).

I think that the best we can do when mkgmap finds 2 nodes that encode in the same IMG point (so in both cases: duplicated nodes or almost-duplicated nodes) is to collapse the 2 nodes in one node exacly as JOSM validator would do if they were duplicated.

Does it sound good?

Just my proposal...