logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Bicycle routing, cycleway=opposite

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon May 25 19:38:54 BST 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 05:27:52PM +0100, Mark Burton wrote:
> > Hope you can help... because there's a great number of one-way streets
> > in my city, which may be used by bike in opposite direction.
>
> At this time, I believe the only way you can achieve what you want is
> to create a map specifically for bicycle navigation that ignores the
> oneway=yes if the cycleway=opposite* tag(s) are set. This would involve
> writing some rules for the style file. I am sure that the style file
> gurus on the mailing list will suggest something appropriate.

What would it take to duplicate the way in mkgmap, as highway=cycleway,
oneway=-1?  This could of course be done relatively easily by preprocessing
the OSM data before feeding it to mkgmap, but I would consider it an ugly
workaround.

> Of course, such a map would not be useful for routing vehicles.

Nitpicking: I thought that bicycles are human powered vehicles. :-)

BTW, are there any non-OSM Garmin maps that feature routeable cycleways?
Such a map could be useful for reverse engineering.  (I have only used
OSM on my Edge 705, and I read that a commercial map of Finland lacks
routing data for cycleways, even though some ways are visible on the
screen.)

	Marko