logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Bicycle routing, cycleway=opposite

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Mon May 25 17:27:52 BST 2009

Hi Markus,

> Hi - I'm new on this mailing list an try to understand what's going on... :-)
>
> One observation regarding bicycle routing:
> The tag combination
>
> oneway=yes
> cycleway=opposite_lane
>
> seems not to work correctly. I.e., routing suggests a detour because it does not consider that you could use the one-way street in opposite direction.
>
> This applies to the tags "cycleway=opposite_track" and "cycleway=opposite" as well.
>
> Is there a solution for this problem? Is, in this case, Garmin routing software able to distinguish between car routing and bicycle routing at all?
>
> Hope you can help... because there's a great number of one-way streets in my city, which may be used by bike in opposite direction.

At this time, I believe the only way you can achieve what you want is
to create a map specifically for bicycle navigation that ignores the
oneway=yes if the cycleway=opposite* tag(s) are set. This would involve
writing some rules for the style file. I am sure that the style file
gurus on the mailing list will suggest something appropriate.

Of course, such a map would not be useful for routing vehicles.

Cheers,

Mark