logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Re: Lower case option & special codes

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue May 12 07:33:42 BST 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:39:12PM +0100, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
> There are situations where uppercase letters in the map are displayed in
> lowercase by mapsource and perhaps the GPS.  But on my Legend Cx at least
> if there are lower case letters in the map, then they are displayed as tiny
> little squiggles.

I suspect that the Garmin Edge 705 displays names with "initial caps"
in the tool tips.  For instance, if a road is named "Kehä III" (the 3rd
ring road around Helsinki), the tool tip next to the pointer arrow will
say "Kehä Iii (E)" (E apparently meaning the eastbound lane).  By the way,
the proper Unicode char would be Ⅲ (U+2162 Roman numeral three).

Are there any plans to implement translitteration for non-ASCII output?
For instance, the mathematical symbols in the U+2100 do not exist in the
8-bit code pages that I am familiar with.  I'd be happy to supply patches
if the infrastructure is there.

	Marko