logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Route Avoidances via Stylefile and problems with roads vs non roads

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Sun May 10 20:08:27 BST 2009

Mark Burton wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>

>> 1. I know that there was some talk about route avoidances in the
>> mailinglist already. But I can't find it anymore.
>>
>> I want to set additional attributes (in the stylefile) to certain
>> linetpyes so that you can exclude them from routing via the Avoid Settings.
>> How do I add this info:
>> Toll Roads
>>

> We currently recognise the toll=yes tag and set some bit of state in
> the map file but whether that actually has the desired effect, I do not
> know.

O.k. thats good to know. I will play around with it for a bit via {set
toll=yes}
>> Unapved Roads
>> Carpool Lanes
>>

> At this time, we don't know how to express those attributes in the
> garmin file.
>

>> Highways
>>

> Well, on my Etrex I can tell it to avoid highways when routing and it
> will not use any primary or trunk road (don't know about motorways as
> none are near to my cycling area).

I tried that and it did not give any sensible results. Furthermore if
you route over longer distances (try 50km) this setting is not applied.
So I especially do not want to use it. Excluding toll ways does work
very well even if you route from Austria to Spain or similar large
distances (with Garmin City Navigator) however.
>> What I want is to give highway=footway and bicycle=no the toll roads
>> tag, so when I am using the autorouting I can exclude footways and ways
>> unsuitable to bicycles by activating "avoid toll roads" or "avoid
>> unpaved roads".
>>

> Why can't you just tell the GPS to route for bicycle (rather than car)?
> It will then respect the bicycle=no restriction.

That produces crap routing. The road speed and road class is not really
used anymore so you can't prefer pathes and footways over tracks and
roads anymore by giving them high road_class and speed.

Oh BTW I have huge problems with the routability of cablecars. Is there
some code that only enables proper routing for highway=* and excludes
buses, trains, cablecars or other that is not listed in the stylefile?
Try giving powerlines routing information and you will see what I mean.

You can have a look at my maps on openmtbmap.org if you fancy to get
somehow sensible mtbike/hiking routing - meaning it will send you
preferably to small ways and avoids anything big. The only problem is
that Garmin still prefers ways with roadclass 0 and roadspeed 0 if they
are very straight and few intersections over ways that curve around and
instersected.