logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1015: Set the codepage if you use --latin1. Attempt to set the codepage

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.demon.co.uk on Sat Apr 25 23:06:18 BST 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 05:46:25PM +0200, Lambertus wrote:
> Regarding codepages and charsets: Is there a generic combination that
> will produce consistent maps worldwide (with Latin charset and without
> questionmarks inserted for difficult character)?
>
> Remarks like these [1] make me think that there is no way of producing
> generic readable maps...
>
> [1]http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=20270#p20270

Yes, producing worldwide maps is difficult because what can be displayed
depends on the firmware of the device as well as how you make the map.

Currently the best way is to go for the lowest common denominator and
use the ascii encoding as there is transliteration of all characters
where possible (Greek is still missing).

But this is a problem that I am going to fix.  There is no reason
why using --latin1 should give worse results than without.  In fact
it was always planed that way but I just never got around to doing
it until now.

..Steve