logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Routing errors on Edge 705 with mkgmap r1010

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Apr 23 12:05:13 BST 2009

The finland.osm translated with r1010 is about 10% smaller than the one
translated with r1001.  Alas, with r1010, the Garmin Edge 705 often aborts
the route search with "Route Calculation Error."  This seems to be more
likely in bicycle and pedestrian routing modes, but I managed to get it
in car routing too.

Also, when I searched a bicycle or walking route from my home near Helsinki
to Tornio or Oulu (spanning three or two map tiles), once the suggested
route started by "flying" over streets.

I initially suspected that this could be related to the smoothing filter,
but after I downgraded to r1001, routing was still partially broken.  My bad;
I should have kept the old finland.osm around.  The finland.osm from April 16
worked fine with r1001, but the one from April 19 doesn't.

For what it is worth, the route search at http://maps.cloudmade.com/ works
fine from "Sillitie" to "Rautatientori" in all 3 modes: car, bicycle, walking.
It also works on the map generated on April 16 with r1001, but not on maps
generated from the April 19 data with r1001 or r1010.

Is there any way to check the routing information in the finland.osm
(526,117,068 bytes)?

	Marko