logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] polygon to point?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Apr 22 10:47:54 BST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:39:42PM +0300, Mike wrote:
> We already have this with the --add-pois-to-areas option. It will
> create a poi for certain polygon areas in osm. I know it works for me,
> What garmin types get assigned to what key=value pairs is based on the
> style information in the resources/styles directory.

Wow, I didn't know of this feature.  I don't think that I will start using
it, though.  Consider a hypermarket that is surrounded by fences and the
building is at the very behind of the fence.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but
Garmin's routing algorithm either ignores fences, or the default mkgmap style
doesn't translate them.  Thus, if I search a bicycle or walking route to the
building, Garmin could tell me to climb the fence.  If the POI is defined at
the entrance gate of the area, the directions will make more sense.  (This
has actually happened to me.  That's why I explicitly define POIs for
amenities located in buildings.)

	Marko