logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] routing / address search: What makes a road (, house number, etc.) belong to a city (, country, etc.)

From Lambertus osm at na1400.info on Tue Apr 21 09:43:17 BST 2009

Gernot Hillier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Lambertus wrote:
>>> However, this won't work for house numbers as polygons for streets
>>> definitely make no sense - especially taking into account how weird the
>>> houses of a street are spread in many places...
>>>
>> Well, I'm not familiar with the Karlsruhe schema and other house
>> numbering scheme's but I reckon the house numbers will eventually be
>> linked to a way? Using the polygons you can lookup in which place the
>> way is, and voila!
>
> For Karlsruhe schema, it's not required that they're linked to a way and
> most of the time, they aren't. When you walk along a street, you just
> place nodes on the right and left side near the street and tag them with
> addr:housenumber. It doesn't make much sense to draw connection ways
> which aren't there in reality.

I did not mean to actually make a way to link the nodes to the street. A
relation can also link an address to a way as does tagging ;-)

> To define the according street, you usually use either a tag
> "addr:street" on the house node (this string can be compared with the
> highway's name) or you use a relation of type=associatedStreet which
> includes "street" and "house"s.
>
> But I think this is not really an open point for discussion as the info
> is already in the OSM data, so the only missing bit is to convert it to
> the Garmin binary format. :)

If the addresses are OSM nodes then they can be compared against
polygons as well, which was my point :D