logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] routing / address search: What makes a road (, house number, etc.) belong to a city (, country, etc.)

From Gernot Hillier gernot at hillier.de on Tue Apr 21 08:33:31 BST 2009

Hi there!

Lambertus wrote:
> Mark Burton wrote:
>> I haven't thought about general address info but relations sound useful
>> because you could use a relation to associate a bunch of houses with a
>> street, or a bunch of streets with a place.
>
> Linking every street within a place together into a place relation, idem
> for places within municipality's, idem for municipality's within
> provinces, idem for provinces within countries, idem for ...
>
> What I'm illustrating is that using relations for this type of
> information is far from optimal imho. We already have coordinates for
> each object so determining if an object is within a
> place/municipally/province/country seems a much better approach to me.

Sorry, but I'm not sure I really got your point. You suggest to use
place polygons, right? If yes: +1! :-)

However, this won't work for house numbers as polygons for streets
definitely make no sense - especially taking into account how weird the
houses of a street are spread in many places...

--
Gernot