logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] routing / address search: What makes a road (, house number, etc.) belong to a city (, country, etc.)

From Lambertus osm at na1400.info on Tue Apr 21 08:23:11 BST 2009

Mark Burton wrote:
> I haven't thought about general address info but relations sound useful
> because you could use a relation to associate a bunch of houses with a
> street, or a bunch of streets with a place.

Linking every street within a place together into a place relation, idem
for places within municipality's, idem for municipality's within
provinces, idem for provinces within countries, idem for ...

What I'm illustrating is that using relations for this type of
information is far from optimal imho. We already have coordinates for
each object so determining if an object is within a
place/municipally/province/country seems a much better approach to me.