logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] routing / address search: What makes a road (, house number, etc.) belong to a city (, country, etc.)

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Tue Apr 21 08:11:26 BST 2009

Hi Gernot,

> 1) tags on the child like is_in or addr:street/addr:city

I believe that info is currently used.

> 2) place and boundary polygons for the "parent"

I don't think that's currently used.

> 3) relations

Also, not used at the moment.

I wrote the road-name-pois code and it simply associates roads with
the nearest "city". It's very dumb but quite effective. I would have
thought that having place/boundary polygons would be useful for
determining the road names for cities.

I haven't thought about general address info but relations sound useful
because you could use a relation to associate a bunch of houses with a
street, or a bunch of streets with a place.

The street address search is semi-functional at the moment. Personally,
I don't think it will improve much until we understand how to generate
the extra data required. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen soon
due to lack of collective knowledge.

Cheers,

Mark