logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] exception in --list-styles

From Stefan Aschenbach stefan at binaervarianz.de on Mon Apr 20 10:33:31 BST 2009

Hi again

> ~/OSM[master]$ java -jar mkgmap.jar --list-styles
> The following styles are available:
> default            1.0: The default style
> noname             1.0: The default style
> test               1.0: The default style
>
> ~/OSM[master]$ java -version
> java version "1.6.0_07"
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode, sharing)

Sorry I messed that up. I encountered problems compiling splitter
also related to the 1.5 java version on my Mac OS 10.4.
The 'BUILDING SUCCESSFULL' message was from that.

Jonathan:~/Projects/eclipse/mkgmap/dist chaos$ /usr/local/soylatte/
bin/java -version
java version "1.6.0_03-p3"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-p3-
landonf_19_aug_2008_14_55-b00)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0_03-p3-
landonf_19_aug_2008_14_55-b00, mixed mode)

Jonathan:~/Projects/eclipse/mkgmap/dist chaos$ /usr/local/soylatte/
bin/java -jar mkgmap.jar --list-styles
The following styles are available:
default            1.0: The default style
noname             1.0: The default style
test               1.0: The default style

This would have been the appropriate answer.

Btw: Isn't it worth mentioning somewhere (or maybe IS it mentioned
somewhere?) that mkgmap needs Java 1.6 and will therefore not compile
on MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger)?
I'm not sure but I think even 10.5 (Leopard) hasn't got a 1.6 JDK.
You have to either find a working Developers Preview Version (I found
none for 10.4) or get SoyLatte, which is a
proof-of-concept kind of 1.6 port to Mac and needs some fiddeling
around to install, integrate in eclipse and use in the terminal.

I don't think you need to fix that. It's the right of the developer
to choose his tools. But it may be stated somewhere that it's not as
cross-platform as the java-sign suggests.

Regards

Stefan

PS: I just looked in the README fie, where it states java 1.5 would
be sufficient. Well that's not true for me here.