logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Code for Highway Symbols

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.demon.co.uk on Sat Apr 18 13:20:18 BST 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 07:27:55PM +0100, Toby Speight wrote:
> Here's a patch that I think I like.  I've given it a reasonable
> exercise, including the error cases I could think of, and I didn't
> see any of the magic smoke escaping.  If there are no issues, would
> someone commit it?  Thanks.

I like the approach using a ValueFilter which keeps the code separate and
used only when needed.

However, I believe that building the functionallity out of prev and subst
is too low level and it would be be better to have a single filter that
does everything that is necessary to add the symbol; for example
${ref|highway-symbol=box}.

I say this because not all of the special values go at the beginning of the
string.  Some of them are used to separate the parts of a streetname (eg
between 'Main' and 'Street' in "Main Street").  Also the required regular
expression to fix up the ref could get complex as shown in another message
in the thread.

The substitution filter might be a good thing to have for other purposes
anyway.

..Steve