logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Abbreviated text in mobileXT

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.demon.co.uk on Thu Apr 16 20:55:42 BST 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 09:42:55PM +0300, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 06:08:06PM +0100, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
> > As codepage is used inside the file, everything should be done in terms of
> > codepage so latin1 should be codepage=1251 etc.
>
> Nitpicking: ISO 8859-1 is a subset of Microsoft/IBM Code Page 1252.
> But MySQL calls cp1252 "latin1" too.  cp1251 is the Cyrillic alphabet.

Arrg I meant 1252 of course.  Currently --latin1 does mean iso-8859-1 but it
should change to cp1252.

> Do you know if the code page can be set per label, per tile or only
> per *.img file?  Would it be possible to have both cp1251 and cp1252
> in the same map tile or the same gmapsupp.img file?

It is per .img file.

> While we are at it, has any magic been implemented to translate
> name:language codes?  e.g.,
> name=Санкт-Петербург
> name:en=Saint Petersburg
> name:fi=Pietari
> name:de=Sankt Petersburg
> name:sv=Sankt Petersburg

There is the --name-tag-list option that allows you to say which language
should be preferred.  So if you wanted to see Finnish names when they exit
then you might use --name-tag-list=name:fi,name:sv,name
That would use the Finnish name if there was one, or else try the Swedish
or generic name if not.

But did you have something else in mind?

> Does the Garmin format allow multiple names for the same place
> (selecting the name based on user language preferences)?

No.  Or at least not in the format as known to us.

..Steve