logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Abbreviated text in mobileXT

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Apr 16 19:42:55 BST 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 06:08:06PM +0100, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
> As codepage is used inside the file, everything should be done in terms of
> codepage so latin1 should be codepage=1251 etc.

Nitpicking: ISO 8859-1 is a subset of Microsoft/IBM Code Page 1252.
But MySQL calls cp1252 "latin1" too.  cp1251 is the Cyrillic alphabet.

Do you know if the code page can be set per label, per tile or only
per *.img file?  Would it be possible to have both cp1251 and cp1252
in the same map tile or the same gmapsupp.img file?

While we are at it, has any magic been implemented to translate
name:language codes?  e.g.,
name=Санкт-Петербург
name:en=Saint Petersburg
name:fi=Pietari
name:de=Sankt Petersburg
name:sv=Sankt Petersburg

Does the Garmin format allow multiple names for the same place
(selecting the name based on user language preferences)?

Near the Finnish-Russian border (and near the former “iron curtain”)
it would be useful to have some names in cp1251 and others in cp1252,
no matter what the primary language of the map is.  Sure, there is
the fallback of translitteration (ISO 9 and many national standards),
but the matter of fact is that many places have both Finnish and Russian
names, e.g., name:ru=Примо́рск (Primorsk) is name:sv=Björkö and
name:fi=Koivisto.  A little further east, only bigger places have
names in multiple languages, e.g., name:en=Moscow, name:de=Moskau,
name:sv=Moskva, name:fi=Moskova for name:ru=Москва (Moskva).

	Marko