logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] GPS V?

From Lambertus osm at na1400.info on Thu Apr 16 15:03:55 BST 2009

Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 01:33:37PM +0200, Lambertus wrote:
>>> Separately, I will have to tweak the style file because footpaths are
>>> only being rendered at extreme zoom levels (80m I think) when they would
>>> make sense at 300m:
>>>
>>>   http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.42369&lon=-71.49033&zoom=15&layers=0B00FTF
>>>
>> I hope to be able to add an option to select different TYP files to the
>> website soon.
>
> Can the zoom levels be controlled by replacing the TYP file only,
> without having to recompile the whole map in mkgmap?  If so, then
> mkgmap must be embedding a TYP file.  Where does that default TYP
> file (or template) come from?  I'm sorry if this is a FAQ.

I'm no expert at TYP files, but the TYP files are added to the combined
map after the map tiles are generated afaik.

At first you will be given the choice to use the default map style of to
inlcude a predefined TYP file. For later versions I plan to allow users
to upload their own TYP file.

>>> The problem is that some kinds of items need to be rendered even at
>>> smaller map scales if there aren't other items around.  These particular
>>> footpaths are as important as minor roads relative to their
>>> surroundings.
>>>
>> This doesn't sound like it's simple to implement to me...
>
> Some way attributes would be needed to mark up such important footpaths.

That would be an option, but I'm not aware of any existing tagging to
declare one footpath to be more important then another.