logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Re: Feedback r991 map on etrex legend HCx

From Stefan Aschenbach stefan at binaervarianz.de on Wed Apr 8 21:23:20 BST 2009

> Stefan> Just a wild guess: are your 'fine' roundabouts possibly
> Stefan> somewhere in GB?
>
> Yes - but I've found (and fixed) several that were drawn the wrong
> way.  They can go unnoticed for a long time, as I think we're the
> pioneers in using OSM for routing!
>
> Perhaps your problematic ones were similarly found and fixed - how
> up-to-date is your input data?
> _________________________

My input data was from April the 4th, somewhat about 1pm if I
remember correctly.
I just checked he roundabout with josm. The direction and the tags
seem fine by now.
I can' check the last modification date from within josm though.

I think mkgmap routing is quite good if most of the errors originate
from bad osm data.

I will try the road-name-pios tomorrow and give feedback for this as
well.

The entrys in the exit-menu are from the basemap, as stated some
mails before.

Some additional information: the crossings menu worked when entering
two streets and a city,
but the street name list was not filtered / cut down to he streets
actually in that city. Also when
entering the second street name, the list is not filtered / cut down
to the streets crossing the first street in that city.
I don't know if any of these two behaviors are supposed to be
different than that.
(I don't own even one commercial map. I fully believed in mkgmap to
bring OSM maps to the Garmin device when buying it.)

As some others posted earlier: I too desperately want to add to the
mkgmap development, but I just can't find the time to do so.
I really do need o look into the java and the style-file code soon.

regards

Stefan