logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Feedback: Searchable Addresses (using r991)

From Bernhard Heibler bernhard at heibler.de on Wed Apr 8 18:36:09 BST 2009

Hi Carlos,

yes I can confirm this behavior on the nuvi. It looks like the nuvi
needs the MDR file for the address search option.

Is there anybody who wants to join me in understanding the MDR file ?  I
did already some research on the MDR file. Most of the sections I have
not decoded until now. The MDR file has about 20 mysterious sections.
What I found out so far is that we need at least 7 sections to enable
the Nuvi address search. I found this out by removing section by section
out of the header of a working MDR file. I have added some code to
libgarmin to display some sections of the MDR. I'm able to decode some
parts of the city, street and region index.
I also started implementing some prototype to write this MDR blocks in
mkgmap. Until know I didn't managed to generate a file that would open
at least the country select dialog on the nuvi. I think it will be a
long way. But I think it is doable since there are working examples e.g.
generated by cgpsmapper that are not encrypted.

First of all I think we need a site to collect information ?  I'm not so
sure if the OSM wiki is the right location to collect garmin file
information ?

Thanks
Berni.