logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Typo in default style, two suggestions and a question

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Apr 7 20:31:40 BST 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 04:55:32PM +0200, Andre Hinrichs wrote:
> First suggestion for additional style:
>
> -amenity=recycling [0x2f15 resolution 20]
> +amenity=recycling [0x2f15 resolution 20 default_name 'recycling']
>
> which would not have any effect if the language is set to english but
> in german the symbol is shown as 'UnbekanntVersorgungsbetrieb'
> which is nonsens. Setting the name would also show 'Recycling' for
> german language which is better (I think).

Could this be addressed in a TYP file?  As far as I understand, the
TYP file would allow labels to be translated.  I haven't made any
experiments with TYP files yet.  I'd be disturbed to find English text
in my Finnish Edge 705 menus.  (So disturbed that I might attempt to
add operator= or name= to any nearby amenity=recycling nodes.)

For amenity=recycling, I'd define separate custom symbols (and default
names) for each kind of material, e.g., paper, glass, metal, ...,
multi-material (paper,cardboard,metal,plastic_bags,clothes,batteries
in a cluster of bins).

An important question is whether custom symbols defined in the TYP file
will appear somewhere in the Where To? menus.  Ideally, there'd be a
Recycling submenu in "Public services", with submenus "All categories",
"Paper", "Metal", and so on.

> Second suggestion for additional style:
>
> +amenity=post_box { name 'post box (${operator})' | 'post box (${name})' }
> +amenity=post_box [0x640f resolution 21 default_name 'post box']
>
> I found it nasty that I wasn't able to find post boxes with my garmin.
> Unfortunately I couldn't find an appropriate symbol for that. So I took the
> symbol for 'Post' and put a 'post box' as addition text. Opinions?

Again, I'd define this in a TYP file if possible.  Could we have a default
TYP file to go with the default style?

> Is there a way to set the info field of the tags? And if yes, how much
> data can this info field hold?
> Currently some address info seem to be added to the info field if set in the
> data. But e.g. for restaurants I'd like to know the opening_hours and for
> post boxes the collection_times...

This could also be useful for amenity:recycling, displaying opening hours,
fees, and the kinds of materials collected (recycling:*=yes).

	Marko