logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Tiles that crash MapSource with latest Mkgmap

From Lambertus osm at na1400.info on Thu Apr 2 20:47:26 BST 2009

I've been busy generating new Garmin tiles, but unfortunately some of
the tiles cause MapSource to crash...

Software used:
- MapSource 6.13.7
- Mkgmap-r991 & r977 & r973
- Splitter.jar

Commandline:
java -Xmx2048M -jar ~/garmin/utils/mkgmap-r973/mkgmap.jar --latin1
--description='OSM world Routable' --net --route --series-name='OSM
World Routable' 63240101.osm.gz

I provided the max-nodes=1000000 (1 million) to the Splitter commandline
to prevent too many outOfHeapSpace errors. This seemed to help because
Mkgmap failed to generate a map for only three tiles for the whole of
Europe, Asia, Africa and Oceania, all other tiles did not produce
errors. Unfortunately, not having errors does not mean those tiles work
flawlessly in MapSource: some cause it to crash instead while working
fine on my GPSmap 60CSx.

Some further testing showed that the tile was rendered (using the same
commandline!) without causing the problems using Mkgmap-r830.

A few of the problem tiles are:
http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/r991/63240101.img
http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/r991/63240103.img
http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/r991/63240105.img

All three are in dense southwest part of the Netherlands. The only
workaround I can think about is to cut those tiles in half and try again...

It would be nice to know the source of this problem and how to avoid it
and also have Mkgmap to indicate clearly if there is a problem.