logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r988: Generate sorted road data to enable finding addresses and intersections.

From Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org on Tue Mar 31 19:57:28 BST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:04:21AM +0100, Steve Hosgood wrote:
> You are supposed to be able to draw a polygon, marked with
> "place=village/town/suburb(etc)" and "place_name=whatever" and then all
> streets inside the polygon would behave as if they included an
> "is_in=whatever" tag on the way. POIs would behave similarly.
>
> See
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FAQ#What_makes_a_road_belong_to_a_city.3F
>
> The "is_in" tag is supposed to be used only in exceptional cases.

is_in is a workaround for missing admin boundary polygon. I tried
correcting the vast amount of is_in's on german place nodes
to at least be able to make a place hierarchy possible.

> I've been doing this around my area (South Wales) and where possible,
> flagging the polygon with "landuse=residential(etc)" which shades the
> map nicely:
>
> See
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.53023&lon=-3.67813&zoom=15&layers=0B00FTF
>
> I sure hope mkgmap makes use of these polygons or I'm wasting my time!!

My guess is that it does not - A residential area is not the area
which contains all roads belonging to that place.

I live in the countryside and i am far far away from the next residential
area or better place node (at least 5-6 km) so there is no way to know
the correct place name than guessing by distance to the next place node.

There is no good solution to this problem except putting administrative
boundaries around the place but at least in germany we are far away
from having admin boundaries for all hamlets, suburbs, or even small
villages.

Another thing still unsolved is that the next place node for me is

place=village
name=Bokel

So my street ends up in Bokel - The problem is that the postal address is
33397 Rietberg where Bokel is one village of.

So there is no way of finding the correct adress.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little