logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Some questions about POI's addresses

From Steve Hosgood steve at tallyho.bc.nu on Fri Mar 27 14:21:05 GMT 2009

Carlos Dávila wrote:
> Bernhard Heibler escribió:
>
>> Hi Carlos,
>>
>> first of all thanks for testing. Sorry I didn't found time to answer
>> your questions earlier.
>>
>>> *First I've noticed is that pois having is_in:region tag don't show
>>> region in nuvi. If region is taken from is_in rather that is_in:region
>>> it's a problem for countries like Spain, where information in this tag
>>> is completely erratic, i.e. you can find city, region, country,
>>> continent values in any order, some of them missing, separated by , or
>>> by ; etc. This way I can't find a way to set the region with
>>> regionOffset parameter in LocatorConfig.xml
>>>
>> You are right that the is_in tagging is not very reliable in most
>> countries. I did the best to get reasonable results but on the long
>> term the only solution is to fix the tags.

I was under the impression that the "is_in" tag was only needed if the
way (or POI) was outside any bounding-polygon marked with
"place=vlllage(*), place_name=Beercan on Sea(**)". Is this system still
in use? I've been marking up my area (Swansea, South Wales) with such
polygons, also giving them tags like "landuse=residential" so as to have
the rendered map show the limits of the urban areas.

Though it's not trivial to discover which polygons contain a given
point, it's bound to be easier for sureyors to maintain and less
error-prone than having to mark every individual POI or way with "is_in"
tags.

Steve