logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Road Name POIs

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Thu Mar 12 23:00:57 GMT 2009

> I've misunderstood what the --road-name-pois feature did. I thought
> the Garmin device automatically implemented address search if the
> roads had the correct metadata (POIs), but that seems not to be the
> case.
>
> This feature as-is is pretty useless for what Address search would be
> used for, there you want to explicitly search for things that aren't
> nearby (across the whole map). And even if you're looking for nearby
> things a substring search is better than having to page through a
> list.

Well, it was never meant to be more than a quick hack to be able to
display/find road names in your locality until somebody worked out how
to do the job properly. Cheap and cheerful.

On the etrex, you can search the RNP's for a substring so you don't
have to page through the list.

> But thanks for your efforts in getting this much to work at least.

It was nothing.

Cheers,

Mark