logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] POI and routing with multiple tiles

From stefan at binaervarianz.de stefan at binaervarianz.de on Thu Mar 12 08:57:34 GMT 2009

>> Is the intended workflow really: download the whole of europe, use
>> splitter and mkgmap, use mapsource to identify interesting tiles, throw
>> away the other ones and run mkgmap again?
>
> Yes. You can cut out a part of the europe OSM file before splitting,
> e.g. with osmosis. That's what I do for generating my hiking map
> (http://www.kleineisel.de/ralf/gps/garmin/, not routable yet). Otherwise
> you cannot predict where the borders of the tiles will be.

I haven't used osmosis yet. But accourding to there wiki page i
suppose it would also be possible to join the region osm files
together befor giving them as a whole to splitter.

I imagine this would be easier than cutting away from a europe file.
At least for regions smaller than whole countries.

Thanks for the advise,

Stefan