logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Polygonal tiles?

From Wolfgang v. Hansen wvhansen at fom.fgan.de on Fri Mar 6 22:06:58 GMT 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Dermot McNally wrote:

> Am I right in thinking that supporting non-rectangular tiles will be the
> only way to ensure that towns near national or regional borders can know
> accurately in which country or region they are located?

While it might technically be a good approach now to assign attributes to
towns via tiles, such information should actually be contained in the OSM
database.

I was asking for polygonal tiles because I think its much nicer when
administrative boundaries are respected. Nobody really wants to be
assigned to a neighboring country by a cartographer. Garmin did a good job
in Europe with the national borders, but unfortunately the countries'
interiors just have these rectangular patterns.

-Wolfgang