logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] POI Adresses

From Paul Ortyl ortylp at googlemail.com on Wed Feb 25 21:34:17 GMT 2009

Hi,

I have tested the latest version of patch from Bernhard Heibler.  I
can see, that as far as the data is correct, the patch works fine with
my etrex and should be merged to the trunk possibly soon.  I do not
know what to think about --location-autofill option.  The missing data
should be corrected at the source and not heuristicly patched in
mkgmap.  For this purpose a tool for listing POIs with incomplete
addresses could be created.  I would like to have the default
behaviour of --pois-addresses flipped.  I mean add the addresses
wherever the data is available and allow the user strip the address
information with --no-poi-adresses for creating smaller maps or maps
targeted to devices, which have no use for address/phone information.
One feature, which has already been mentioned last week are POIs for
buildings.  It is really a shame, that the better mapped parts of
cities get stripped of all restaurants/hotels/supermarkets/... which
are already existing on the map as buildings/polygons.  Even if
solutions in submitted patches are not ideal from the performance
point of view, please create the users an option for creating complete
map, at the cost of performance.

Has anybody an idea how to cram into the POI information shown on the
Garmin such things like opening_hours?

Thanks for the great work on the conversion tool :)

Paul

--
Don't take life too seriously; you will never get out of it alive.
                                        -- Elbert Hubbard