logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Inter-tile routing now available in trunk

From Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com on Wed Feb 25 20:32:14 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:21 AM, Wolfgang v. Hansen <wvhansen at fom.fgan.de>wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Mark Burton wrote:
>
>  So, more work required but it would be great to get some feedback as to
>> how it's currently performing especially on real gps units.
>>

> I hope I'm not too late, but development here is faster than I can read
> this list. :-)

same here, amazing progress! issues are fixed before I can report them

> I made a test map of Germany composed of rectangular tiles from europe.osm
> using r918. Routing works fine on my StreetPilot c510 for almost any
> destination and the chosen route is always reasonable. (Routing in MapSource
> is unusable, but you knew that already.)
>
> The only case where it doesn't work is when the destination of a long route
> is in a tile corner at the map border. If you start closer to the same
> destination it is able to find the route. I would guess that this is simply
> due to the cuts in the road network near the destination and Garmins
> preference for highways over long distances.

created a map for california and routing in Mapsource doesn't find the ideal
route in a case where the best route is crossing 4 tiles but Mapsource is
able to find a suboptimal route crossing  3 tiles only.
not sure if this is a Mapsource limitation or can be fixed in the data.
On a Etrex routing failed with a out of memory message for the same map.
Have only Topo maps on the Garmin and can't verify if this is more a map or
device limitation

another bug in the map is the rendering of water. the ocean isn't drawn at
all. Lake Tahoe is drawn in low zoom levels but skipped in higher zoom
levels
I see that the polygons for both are not closed because they extend beyond
the osm file boundary