logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] About routing options, Mapsource and speed limit

From Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com on Mon Feb 23 19:27:47 GMT 2009

Hi David,

It's nice that you've chosen for your example an area that I map.
Since I only just last weekend created a routable map of Ireland that
has worked for me quite well, I thought it worth investigating your
test route.

What I found:

My Garmin Nuvi routed me as you would expect: for a fast route, it
routed me over the M4 and M6 motorways, leaving at the Tyrelspass
junction. For a short route it had me leave at the first M6 junction
and take the old road (R446). In both cases, the device respected the
one-way restrictions on the motorway.

As you have presumably checked, the oneway status of the motorway ways
in the vicinity of the River Boyne crossing you depict is correct.

Although the M4 has a toll between Kilcock and Enfield (nodes tagged
highway=toll_booth), the device does not avoid it when instructed to
avoid tolls. However, I'm not aware whether toll avoidance support is
expected to be present or even understood in the data model. It seems
to have no bearing on this example.

My map is derived from a single planet dump of all Ireland. That is, I
am not routing across tile boundaries.

I don't think speed limits can be a factor here, since no explicit
limits are set for the roads in question.

Have you tried your map on an actual device? I haven't (yet) tried my
map on Mapsource.

Now would probably be a good time to thank very much those responsible
for making the routing work, and particularly for the work tracking
down the pink line of death. A whole map of Ireland, routable, from
OSM data currently fits within 10MB and seems to work pretty well.

One question, though, that someone may know the answer to. Roundabouts
seem not to be drawn in the correct road class, but always in the same
style (have to load up qlandkarte to check which, but with default
styling it renders in a similar orange to secondary, primary and
trunk). Is there a Garmin restriction behind this or can it be fixed
with suitable styling?

Dermot