logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Advanced multipolygon support

From Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com on Thu Feb 19 02:16:31 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Torsten Leistikow <de_muur at gmx.de> wrote:
> In my point of view the multipolygon relation is a much to complicated
> construct, which should be disregarded. Everybody you ask, has a
> different understanding of its meaning. And as far as I know, there is
> no complete implementation of this feature yet. (The Mapnik support is
> only partly.)
>
> Since people are using the relation, it would be nice, if mkgmap could
> support this. But the better solution is, to discourage people from
> using this feature at all :-)

JOSM has a pretty good implementation:
http://www.mail-archive.com/josm-dev@openstreetmap.org/msg01508.html

AFAIK multipolygon relations aren't ambiguous as far as the data is
concerned, but some renderers seem to have issues with them anyway as
they don't grok complex relations in general.