logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Abbreviated text in mobileXT

From Robert Vollmert rvollmert-lists at gmx.net on Wed Feb 18 11:30:10 GMT 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 20:45, nyem wrote:
> I wonder if anyone has tried mkgmap-generated map on Garmin mobileXT
> (symbian). Text labels (POI and streetnames) are all abbreviated.
> Burger King appears as B K, but KFC is OK. A spell search on
> 'Burger' correctly returns 'B K'.
>
> Setting all labels as uppercase doesn't work though. I've tried
> different options (latin1, lower-case in mkgmap and upcase, codepage
> in osm2mp) but still the same problem. No such problem viewing the
> map in mapsource.

For those affected by this problem, we found a work-around: Supply a
code page on the command line: "--code-page=1252". This code page gets
written to the header of the LBL file, while otherwise mkgmap just
writes zero.

Probably, mkgmap should make some effort to automatically write a
sensible code page -- how are the options latin1, charset and code-
page meant to work together? Does one affect input, the other output?

Cheers
Robert