logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Abbreviated text in mobileXT

From nyem nyem69 at gmail.com on Thu Feb 12 19:45:50 GMT 2009

Hello,
I wonder if anyone has tried mkgmap-generated map on Garmin mobileXT
(symbian). Text labels (POI and streetnames) are all abbreviated. Burger
King appears as B K, but KFC is OK. A spell search on 'Burger' correctly
returns 'B K'.

Setting all labels as uppercase doesn't work though. I've tried
different options (latin1, lower-case in mkgmap and upcase, codepage in
osm2mp) but still the same problem. No such problem viewing the map in
mapsource.

I use osm2mp.pl to generate the mp file and the same mp file works OK
when compiled at mapcenter2. Attached are screenshots of mkgmap and
mapcenter2 generated maps for comparison.

best regards,
nyem