logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Option --latin1 not working any more?

From Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com on Tue Feb 10 22:54:25 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Steve Ratcliffe
<steve at parabola.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Yes, as you say, previously, the --nocodepage was useless as it still put
> CodePage=1251 into the file, so you couldn't tell the difference.
>
> As osm2mp is now changed, I will apply the patch that
> Johann posted.
>
> However, when there is no code page, then the .mp file labels would
> normally be expected to be in ascii and not utf-8.  Fortunately as
> utf-8 is backward compatible with ascii that is probably not going to
> affect any other file.

the cGPSmapper v2.4.3 manual[1] seems to specify a full inclusive list
of allowed codpages in section 6.1 (page 55), the format doesn't
support non-8-bit pseudo-codepages[2] and it would seem that the spec
suggests that a file without a CodePage= declaration should be read as
ASCII+8 bit garbage and not UTF-8 as you suggest. And if a user wants
interoperable non-ASCII files Windows-1252 is recommended.

That's pretty unuseful and I think the patch by Johann Gall should be
kept, but that's what the spec seems to say on the matter.

1. http://www.cgpsmapper.com/download/cGPSmapper-UsrMan-v02.4.3.pdf
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page#Other_code_pages_of_note