logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r868: Implement routing for .osm input files.

From Paul news at pointdee.co.uk on Tue Feb 10 18:34:47 GMT 2009

Given that I'm comparing gmapsupp.img files for combined England,
Scotland and Wales previously created by using osm2mp and mkgmap with
.mp files and now directly with mkgmap from .osm files then the initial
observations are:-

Using the osm2mp method gives a final file of 119.8MB where the direct
conversion gives a final file of 103.7MB

Support for roundabouts seems less well implemented. On approaching a
roundabout I would previously receive an instruction to "Take 3rd exit
at roundabout". Approaching the same roundabout I was simply told to
"Keep left to Bloggs Road" even though I needed the 3rd exit.

Slightly different routes are now chosen. These are not wrong - Just
different to before. e.g. Leaving work I always ignore the Garmin route
as it's not the best. When it recalculated it previously chose the route
I actually take. Using the new file it picked a different route which I
had to ignore a second time before it chose the route I actually take.

I also noticed today that with both versions of the .img file any
routing from the Rochdale area along the M62 fails at around the point
that the M621 splits from the M62 (approximately J27). I realise there
could be many reasons for this but I thought I'd mention it.

For information purposes the pseudo code I use to create the files is:-

java -jar splitter.jar england.osm
osm2mp.pl --nocodepage  --splitroads *.osm > e*.mp (5 files total)
java -Xmx2048M -jar mkgmap.jar --latin1 --gmapsupp --route e?.mp
wales.mp scotland.mp

java -jar splitter.jar england.osm
java -Xmx2048M -jar mkgmap.jar --latin1 --gmapsupp --route e?.osm
wales.osm scotland.osm

Hope that helps

Paul