logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Garmin "Feature" or bug?

From Johann Gail johann.gail at gmx.de on Wed Jan 28 21:32:44 GMT 2009

> that seems to be correct. The menu items in my eTrex Legend HCx depend on
> the map I use. With a map generated by mkgmap I get the described behaviour,
> i.e. I can only "Find nearest". The menu in <Find> <Cities> <Menu button>
> contains only three options.

On my Garmin etrex venture there are always all four options available,
independent of the img-file I choose.
With the original mapsource generated files all works as expected.
With the maps generated with mkgmap I can select 'Find by name' but only
the cities from the basemap are found. If I select 'Find nearest' then
all cities are found, also the ones from the osm data.

I also asume, that some information is missing.
I strongly  assume, that this information is contained in the MDR part
of the img file.
On
http://libgarmin.wiki.sourceforge.net/Contribute
you can find, that this part contains an search index.