logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Found Bug with german umlauts

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.demon.co.uk on Thu Jan 8 22:53:07 GMT 2009

Hi

> I've just found out, why the maps with routing capabilities enabled
> don't show the german umlauts. There are two places, where faults occur:

Thanks for looking into this and finding the problem.

I can now see why it worked for some people using different codepage
options to osm2mp.

>    Reader reader = new InputStreamReader(openFile(name));

When no charset is given, then the default one is used, which differs from
platform to platform, so if you gave a matching codepage to osm2mp (and
that allowed umlauts) then it could work.

> should read
>    Reader reader = new InputStreamReader(openFile(name), "CP1252");
>
> The clean solution would be to read the codepage from the mp file
> itself, as there is an entry for it.

Ok so I will look for the CodePage=xxxx option and use that when opening
the file.

> While debugging, I made an interesting detection:
> My Garmin etrex Venture Cx displays lower case letters for some labels!
> As far as I can see, it's only the case for city names, not for streets,
> but maybe I can find out more.

I think you will find that it does this even if the labels are all in
upper case and it is just lowercasing all but the first letter of a word.
I added an --lower-case option some time back if you want to see if your
etrex can really display lowercase.

Best Regards,
..Steve