logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Found Bug with german umlauts

From Johann Gail johann.gail at gmx.de on Wed Jan 7 01:54:31 GMT 2009

Hi,

I've just found out, why the maps with routing capabilities enabled
don't show the german umlauts. There are two places, where faults occur:

First you have to tell osm2mp to use the codepage CP1252, as CP1251
doesn't include the umlauts. (osm2mp does a conversion from utf-8 to a
codepage if you dont set -nocodepage on the commandline.)

Second fault takes place in the mkgmap tool, where in class
PolischMapDataSource in line 86 no encoding is given and therefore taken
as ascii. So all umlauts gets replaced by a '?'.

Quick solution:
The line
    Reader reader = new InputStreamReader(openFile(name));
should read
    Reader reader = new InputStreamReader(openFile(name), "CP1252");

The clean solution would be to read the codepage from the mp file
itself, as there is an entry for it.

While debugging, I made an interesting detection:
My Garmin etrex Venture Cx displays lower case letters for some labels!
As far as I can see, it's only the case for city names, not for streets,
but maybe I can find out more.

Regards,
Johann