logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] New branch for default typ file

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Mon Dec 16 11:18:46 GMT 2019

Hi all

As suggested elsewhere, bays should be rendered as transparent and only
 generated if named. I use this method for other areas and find it very
useful.

I don't understand what is being suggested by the references to POI in
this context; They are findable as Geographic > Water Features > Bay,
but to get the name of bay by trying to move the cursor over a POI
which might not exist and selecting it doesn't make sense.

Some comments (marked #RWB) on "20191209 mapnik update.pdf", attachment
to Joris posting 9-Dec 19:45 to reproduced in-line here

Changed Lines

Added 0x17
Breakwater
But later on also used for walls, bariers, fences and hedges: so not
easy to translate
I added it as a thin dark grey line, assuming fences, walls and hedges
are more common then
breakwaters and if used create a lot of cluttering if the line is to
thick.
#RWB I use the thinnest black line for all of these (also for cliff)
and give them the smallest label

Added 0x0b
highway=motorway_link & (mkgmap:exit_hint=true | mkgmap:dest_hint=*)
Set the same as 0x09 Trunk link. Is used for both motorway and Trunk
links. Would make sense to me
to use 0x09 for motorway and 0x09 for trunk instead, but should then be
changed in the default style.
#RWB Gerd had commented on these. They are very short and difficult to
spot unless you zoom right in. Not worth using 2 different routeable
lineTypes. Should be rendered the same as the less major road that it
replaces (ie primary_link, 0x08)

.
Added 0x1a
route=ferry [0x1a road_class=3 road_speed=0 resolution 19] same as 0x1b
#RWB would be nice if car-ferry (0x1a) is shown as more significant
than foot/bicycle only ferry (0x1b)

Changed Polygons

Added 0x1d
Leisure = common, depricated by osm wiki, used same color as park,
better to be removed from default style i
think.
#RWB wouldn't want to remove until all OSM usage has gone

Added 0x20
leisure=garden [0x20 resolution 21]

Added 0x25
place=square [0x25 resolution 22]

Added 0x12
highway=services [0x12 resolution 22]
landuse=retail [0x12 resolution 20-23]

Changed 0x1e (historic) to be 0x22
0x1e was historic is changed to 0x22

Added 0x52
natural=tundra [0x52 resolution 18]

Added 0x0f
landuse=commercial [0x0f resolution 19]
Same color as 0x08 commercical / shops

Added 0x26
landuse=farm [0x26 resolution 22]
landuse=farmyard [0x26 resolution 22]

Added 0x1c
landuse=greenfield [0x1c resolution 20]
landuse=meadow | landuse=grass [0x1c resolution 19]
landuse=farmland [0x1c resolution 20]

Wiki says: greenfield is to be developed in something new and so is
really different from being a
‘green meadow area’. Choosed color for green grass because meadow is
much more common
#RWB I hadn't spotted this distinction, but I don't think it is worth
trying to represent differently

Added 0x15
landuse=village_green [0x15 resolution 20]

Added 0x11
military=danger_area [0x11 resolution 20]
#RWB I show this as semi-transparent (red stripes) OVER whatever else
is on the map (eg any other landuse). I do the same with nature
-reserve/0x16 as green stripes

Added 0x23
amenity=* & area!=no & amenity!=grave_yard {add
name='${amenity|subst:"_=> "}'} [0x23 resolution 24]
This can be anything, lets say it most commonly is a building
#RWB It might be a building, but often it is an area that might contain
contains buildings etc, so I'd prefer it to be different so that
contained building show up

Added 0x21
tourism=* & area!=no & waterway!=* {add name='${tourism|subst:"_=> "}'}
[0x21 resolution 24]
This can be anything, lets say it most commonly is something referred
to as green stuf

Added 0x24
man_made=* & area!=no {add name='${man_made|subst:"_=> "}'} [0x24
resolution 24]
This can be anything, lets say it most commonly is something referred
to as constructions such as bridges

Changed points

Moved bollard from 0x660f to 0x3200

Some suggestions for improvements of the default style

For examples also see my osm mapnik style at
https://github.com/Jorisbo/Mkgmap-Mapnik-Style-Garmin

leisure=water_park [0x09 resolution 21]
Is now rendered with the same code for (blue) water area’s but in my
opinion should be rendered as green
‘park or campsite‘ area and only the swimmingpool itself is blue water.
#RWB the garmin definition of 0x09 is "Marina", which isn't handled by
the default style. I suggest adding this and changing water_park to
use 0x2a (default name/rendering Area/Body of Water/Green)

leisure=recreation_ground [0x19 resolution 21]
Is now rendered same as green sportsfacilities but maybe better the
same as park or campsite
#RWB 0x19 (garmin "Sports Complex") is a bit overloaded as ice_rink,
pitch, recreation_ground, sports_center, stadium and track. Maybe
recreation_ground could be changed to 0x1e

Islands and beaches both uses 0x53
#RWB Islands/Islets should change to 0x56/0x57 and only generated if
named and small. Then rendered as transparent

Industrial, quarry and construction share the same code 0x0c
  Line 100: landuse=construction [0x0c resolution 21]
  Line 108: landuse=quarry [0x0c resolution 19]
  Line 111: landuse=industrial [0x0c resolution 19-23]

Playgrounds and parks share the same code
This gives every park a playground symbol
#RWB suggest changing playground to 0x1f, leaving park as 0x17

Postbox and recycling share the same code 0x2f15
#RWB There are limited options for searchable points, this is Community
> Utility

Prison and public building share the same code 0x3007
amenity=prison [0x3007 resolution 24 default_name 'Prison']
amenity=public_building [0x3007 resolution 24]
#RWB limited options: Community > Government Office

taxi and busstop share the same code 0x2f17
#RWB limited options: Transportation > Transit Services

internet access and emergency phone share the same code 0x2f12
#RWB internet_access should probably be removed from the style.
0x2f12 is Other > Communications

viewpoints, arts_centre, artwork and attractions share the same code
  Line 101: amenity=arts_centre [0x2c04 resolution 24]
  Line 252: tourism=attraction [0x2c04 resolution 24]
  Line 253: tourism=artwork [0x2c04 resolution 24]
  Line 270: tourism=viewpoint {name '${name} - ${description}' |
'${name}'} [0x2c04 resolution 24]
#RWB limited options: Attractions > Landmark. This doesn't seem a good
choice, but I don't see a better one

No occurences for amenity=car_club [0x2f0d resolution 24] found in osm
database
  Does not make sense for rendering
#RWB Garmin has a search for this: Other > Automobile Club; so the best
osm mapping was added.

Swimmingpools have also a poi same as waterparks
in a villa-areas now you get a lot of swimming symbols
  Line 191: leisure=swimming_pool [0x2d09 resolution 24]
  Line 193: leisure=water_park [0x2d09 resolution 24]
  Line 248: sport=swimming [0x2d09 resolution 24]
#RWB findable as Recreation > Swimming pool.
The default style should be changed to not add them as a searchable POI
if not accessible

leisure=swimming_pool could probably better be removed from poi and
added to polygons so it appears as a
blue water area instead of a poi
#RWB see above re POI. Could as as polygon - suggest 0x3a

Busstops on lines (platforms) should be limited to only one poi in
stead of poi on every node
Use: mkgmap:line2poi != true or mkgmap:line2poitype = mid
N50° 50.691' E4° 21.108'
#RWB Suggest only generate explicit bus_stop

Ticker