logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Sample basic mkgmap config file

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Thu Feb 21 10:50:39 GMT 2019

Hi Gerd

Sorry to hear that your're not well.

It seems that the behaviour of this feature is device dependent (I used
the same map on the same SD card on both my devices).

Each device was consistent in its behaviour for all streets I looked
at, regardless of street name length.

I didn't like the effect of this option on the old eTrex Legend, but it
was justifiable.

On the new 30x it is plain misleading, picking one suffix to show on
the street completion list then show results that include all the other
suffixes.

Having --split-name-index without --road-names-config would, I imagine,
greatly increase the index size. And again, I don't think this option
gives anything that a UK user would expect.

Reading the documentation for the option, one of the reasons for it was
to show just the significant part of the name at outer zoom levels and
the full name as you zoom it. This doesn't happen on my devices, the
full street name appears in one go as you zoom in.

It would be interesting to know the behaviour on other devices and
maybe all that should be done is add a bit more to the documentation.

I don't think either should be enabled in the sample.cfg

Best wishes
Ticker